Good morning and happy Friday!
I’m hustling to go get my Dynamic Effort Lower Body Training Session in but first I wanted to provide you with my latest articles, Strength Lessons, and weekly good reads. There’s tons of great info this week so, if you find yourself bored over the weekend, there’s plenty of reading material here.
Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!
Articles By Jordan
Daily Strength Lesson’s
Monday’s Strength Lesson: Box Squats for the Raw lifter?
Box Squats are unquestionably one of my favorite training tools for *all* lifters. They help teach proper technique, re-enforce appropriate depth, and build starting and explosive strength.
In that sense, Box Squats are great for all lifters.
Just as anything, though, too much of one thing at the expense of others can lead to negative outcomes. For example, only Box Squatting while neglecting Free Squatting (especially for raw lifters) will negatively impact the competition Squat.
Case In Point: Box Squats are useful for the Raw lifter but should by not make up the entirety of their Squat training.
Tuesday’s Strength Lesson: The most successful lifters are the ones who understand (and often appreciate) that strength gain is rarely linear.
The first 6 months to 1 year of strength training aside, you will never again progress at such a rapid pace. Some lifters find this discouraging and quit when they don’t see immediate results. Others thrive on the struggle and use it as motivation; they see it as a challenge and are willing to do whatever it takes to improve.
There’s a reason why there are so few *truly* strong lifters – strength training isn’t easy.
Which type of person are you? Will you rise to the challenge or quit when the going gets tough? The choice is yours and yours alone.
Wednesday’s Strength Lesson: How to Fix Your Kettlebell Swing
One of the most common mistakes I see made during the kettlebell swing is hinging the hips backwards too early. Instead of being patient and waiting for the kettlebell to get close to the body, the trainee will prematurely hinge the hips which forces the kettlebell further away from the body and makes for an inefficient swing.
The Cue: Be patient and *wait as long as possible!* Don’t hinge backwards until the bell is about to hit you in the balls.
For those without testicles, just imagine that you do have them and wait as long as you can to hinge before the kettlebell would hit them.
Want a visual reference? Check out the video below and take not of where the kettlebell is as I begin to hinge my hips
Thursday’s Strength Lesson: The mind will give up long before the body ever needs to.
The mind is often our biggest limiting factor.
Not physical capability
Not equipment or time availability
Not anything else
Mental fortitude, the ability to see through the smokescreen of discomfort and realize that we have more in us but we just need to dig deep to find it, is a learned skill that must be practiced time and time again. Recognize that fatigue is often magnified by our own thoughts and perceptions. Learn to subdue these thoughts and fight through them to unlock your true physical capacity.
The mind will give up long before the body ever needs to. Fight through.
Friday’s Strength Lesson:
“If you want happiness for an hour — take a nap.
If you want happiness for a day — go fishing.
If you want happiness for a year — inherit a fortune.
If you want happiness for a lifetime — help someone else.”
- Core Training: Do You Know About These 3 Things? via Nick Tumminello
- Quick and Easy Ways to Feel and Move Better via Greg Robins
- Deadlift: How to Pull the Slack Out of the Bar via Syatt Fitness
- How to Talk to Your Kids About Their Eating Habits: Very Carefully via Francine Russo
- The Best Core Exercise You Probably Aren’t Doing via Steve Bergeron
- 3 Exercises You Probably Haven’t Tried via Jon-Erik Kawamoto
- Top 10 Drugs Trainers Need to Know About via Nick Tumminello
- Why Do I Anterior Pelvic Tilt? via Bret Contreras
- Build Muscle: Expert Tips to Gain Mass via ConFITdent
- Train Like a Woman, Look Like a Woman via Tony Gentilcore
- Top Coaches Weigh In: The Best 5 Exercises and Why via Ines Subashka
- Extreme Leanness: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly – Part 2 via Molly Galbraith
- 6 Powerful Prowler Exercises via Dan Trink
- Exercise Video of the Week: Slideboard Bodysaw Push-Up via Eric Cressey
- Fish Oil Increases Risk of Prostate Cancer? via Examine.com