I hope you had a great week and are now enjoying a fun and relaxing weekend.
Before we get to the goods of this installment of The Week in Review, I have some very exciting news to share with you.
This past week, the team at Fitocracy put a piece together called: 30 Under 30: The Young Professionals Changing the Face of Fitness.
I’m excited because, as you’ll see, among some of the brightest and influential minds in the industry, they listed me as one of these top 30 fitness professionals.
I was blown away.
To see my name and picture alongside some of the people I’ve looked up to for years is beyond surreal.
Most importantly, though, I want to thank you for your continued encouragement and support. Without you, I would not be where I am today so, from the bottom of my heart, thank you.
I’m excited to continue building Syatt Fitness into one of the leading fitness resources in the world and I couldn’t be luckier to have you with me every step of the way.
Let’s Get to the Goods!
This past week was overflowing with incredible fitness information so, without any further ado, let’s get to this installment of The Week in Review.
Articles By Jordan
Daily Strength Lesson’s
Monday’s Strength Lesson: I had a bad training session the other day.
Strength wasn’t there, technique was off, and overall I just felt like shit.
Why am I telling you this?
Because it happens to everyone.
Not every day is going to be your best day and, if you expect it to be, then you’re setting yourself up for failure.
Everyone has bad days; it’s part of the process.
What separates the truly great from everyone else is the desire to push through and keep working even when things don’t go their way.
Had a bad training session?
Cool. Get over it. Onto the next one.
Tuesday’s Strength Lesson: You are stronger than you think you are.
Think you can’t lift 100lbs? You can.
Think you can’t do a push-up? You can.
Think you can’t be strong? You ARE!
I’m not kidding, either.
Nearly every day I meet at least one new client who preemptively explains to me how weak they are and how they’ll never be able to do X, Y, and Z.
After they finish their explanation I completely disregard everything they just told me and proceed to show them how strong they truly are. Whether it’s lifting 100lbs, coaching them through a proper push-up, or some other form of strength…they are ALWAYS shocked at how much strength they innately posses.
Trust me, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.
Sometimes all you need is a little bit of a push in the right direction to realize that strength and that’s why I’m here.
You’re strong as fuck…BELIEVE IT!
Wednesday’s Strength Lesson: Time to pony up and get your short-shorts & headbands on because today is Sample Workout Wednesday!
Want a bigger bench?
Of course you do.
Below I’ve provided a sample bench workout that I’ve used with my clients and myself to build a bigger bench.
1) Bench Press: 4 x 3
2) Incline Bench Press with 2-sec Pause on Chest: 3 x 6
3) Bent-Over Barbell Row: 4 x 6
4a) [Weighted] Chin-Up: 3 x 8
4b) [Weighted] Push-Up: 3 x 10
5) Cable Face Pull: 2 x 12
Thursday’s Strength Lesson: Want good posture? Start strength training.
Ever realize you’re sitting like Quasimodo and immediately right your position and sit up tall?
How long does that last?
See, it doesn’t matter if you can sit upright with good posture if it’s all going to fall back into the same place once you stop thinking about it.
So how do we fix this?
Through proper strength training you can strengthen the appropriate muscle groups so you no longer need to think about maintaining an upright posture – you’ll just naturally hold that position.
Friday’s Strength Lesson: “A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: we did it ourselves.“
- Low-Carb vs. Isoenergetic Balanced Diets for Weight Loss via PLoS.org
- Clinical Trial Reaffirms Diet Beverages Play Positive Role in Weight Loss via ScienceDaily
- 6 Tips From The Hulk to Help You Smash Diet Anxiety For Good via Rog Law
- 30 Under 30: The Young Professionals Changing the Face of the Fitness Industry via Fitocracy
- The Most Common Eating Disorder You’ve Probably Never Heard Of via Claire Milliken
- How to Eliminate Neck and Bicep Pain while Deadlifting via Syatt Fitness
- Of Whooshes and Squishy Fat via Lyle McDonald
- How Does ROM Affect Gains in Muscular Size? via Chris Beardsley
- Fear the Nutrition Guru Whose Opinions Don’t Change via Yoni Freedhoff
- A Rant About Exercise Technique via Mike Robertson
- The Paleo Problem: Examining the Pros and Cons of the Paleo Diet via Brian St. Pierre
- Do I Need to Train Both Sumo AND Conventional Deadlifts? via Syatt Fitness
- 15 Things Girls Who Lift are Tired of Hearing via BuzzFeed
- 6 Reasons Your Body Doesn’t Look Any Different Despite “Doing Everything Right” via Molly Galbraith
- Career Capital in the Fitness Industry via Eric Cressey